Honey-Wheat Fried Chicken

>> Sunday, May 9, 2010

Nothing says home cooking like some fried chicken. I love me some fried chicken..."BUCKET A CHICKEN!" This isn't your typical bucket or box of chicken. For Mother's Day I wanted to make a special dinner for Shannon. I wanted to make her some of my Chicken Cordon Bleu but was missing some key ingredients like Canadian Bacon, Creme Fraiche and Gruyere Cheese. Poor planning on my part and is why I am not a chef. She chose fried chicken instead...and I was excited. I wanted to experiment with a new breading instead of the Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs I had in the pantry. This concoction is a first in the Cancellare home and was a success.

Honey-Wheat Fried Chicken
4 pieces boneless skinless chicken breast
3 cups buttermilk
Oil
Gallon zip lock baggy
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tspn kosher salt
2 tspn coarsely ground pepper
2 tspn garlic powder
1 tspn paprika
1 tspn ground sage
1 tspn thyme
1 tspn celery seed
1 tspn parsley

Soak the chicken in buttermilk over night

Combine seasonings in gallon sized zip lock bag and shake.

Drain chicken from buttermilk and place chicken (one piece at a time) in flour mixture and shake and coat the chicken

In cast iron skillet heat oil on medium high until it sizzles when you add some flour to it. Fry chicken 10 to 12 minuets on each side or until internal temp is 165. Watch the chicken and temp. If chicken browns before temp is 165 remove and finish in the oven at 450F for 15 minutes.
Drizzle honey on chicken as much or as little as you like.

Serve with buttery dill carrots (boil carrots in water and half stick of butter until fork tender and sprinkle with dill to taste) and cheddar biscuits.

1 comments:

Rebecca Hunt May 10, 2010 at 10:46 AM  

ummmm...... yum. I'm starving now, thanks :) PS your sauce is AMAZING! Love it!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP