Carb-Free, Sugar-Free, Vanilla Ice Cream

>> Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Unfortunately, not calorie-free. I am on a low-carb, sugar free diet right now, and I was craving ice cream. Instead of running to Cold Stone (I was halfway there!) I remembered a recipe I have for homemade ice cream and realized it could easily be adapted. I will post both recipes for you sugar lovers out there. Here is what you need for the carb-free, sugar free version:

1 quart half & half
1/4 pint heavy whipping cream
2 tsp vanilla extractdash of sea salt
30 Truvia packets , about 3/4 cup (VERY important - do not use any other artificial sweetener. Truvia comes from a plant called stevia, and does not have the nasty after-taste that many artificial sweeteners have. Do not use the Sun Crystals brand either. It is made from stevia too, but still has a gross after-taste. Truvia does not. It is the best I have found so far)

Mix all ingredients together in your ice cream maker and mix for about 40 mins or until it is the thickness you desire.

The verdict: It was very, very good. I was surprised at how good it tasted. It still has the homemade ice cream taste, and was smooth and creamy. My husband, who hates anything labeled "light" or "diet" even ate it and enjoyed it. My suggestion is to eat it with fresh strawberries on top - the tartness of the strawberries makes the ice cream even sweeter. Leftovers can be stored in the freezer in tupperware.


Sugar-Loaded and Carb-Plentiful version:

(This is also the full-serving sized recipe. I halfed the recipe when I did the lighter version since it does make quite a bit of ice cream.)

2 Quarts Half & Half
1/2 Pint heavy whipping cream
4 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 & 1/2 C Sugar
Dash of salt

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP