Coca Cola Freezer Cake

>> Sunday, May 2, 2010

I am warning you. This is not a healthy recipe. Not by a long shot. Just looking at all the ingredients, I gained about 5 lbs. Chef beware.

 5 LBS!
 NO MORE FITTING INTO PANTS FOR YOU!
And ohmygosh is this the yummiest thing I've ever eaten. My apologies in advance. Those who make this, are about to become addicts.

Cake:
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 lb. unsalted butter (two sticks)
1 c. Coca Cola- you can use caffeine-free if you deem necessary.
1/4 c. unsweetened alkalized cocoa powder. (I don't know what "alkalized" is, I just used the cocoa powder I found in the baking aisle)
2 c. flour
2 c. superfine sugar (Again, don't know what this is- I just used regular sugar)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 lrg. eggs
2 tea. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400. Grease 9x13 pan. Whisk buttermilk and baking soda in a small bowl, set aside.
Place butter, Coke, and cocoa powder in large saucepan and heat to a boil. (let the Coke sit out to become room temp for frosting)


In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Pour the hot Coke mix on top and mix on low for about 2-3 mins.

Blend in the eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk mixture. Batter will be thin and caramel colored.



Pour into the pan and bake for 20 mins. While it's cooking, get the things ready to make the frosting. Melt the butter and cocoa, and let cool. Perhaps even do some dishes while the cake is cookin'.

Frosting:
3 3/4 c. plus 2 tbl. (?) powdered sugar
large pinch of salt  (oh, crap... I just realized I forgot that one)
1 stick butter, melted and cooled.
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled.
1 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
6 tbl. room temp Coke

A couple minutes before the cake comes out of the oven, whisk butter and chocolate together and then blend in vanilla. Pour chocolate mix into large bowl of powdered sugar. Add Coke and beat to smooth. (use immediately!) Place large dollops on the hot cake and smooth. You want it to melt down into the cake. Let it cool completely and then store in the freezer.


EAT ME!
Ok- now I'm off for another plateful.

4 comments:

Chelsey May 2, 2010 at 12:17 PM  

This looks awesome! My step-dad is a big coca-cola fan....I will have to make this for him! I don't know what alkalized means either, but I do know about the superfine sugar. You can only find it every once in awhile, it's pretty much regular sugar but ground very finely so that it melts and dissolves quicker. Sometimes you need it in caramel/frosting recipes to avoid ending up with grittiness. It comes in one of those old school milk carton containers. Question about this recipe - Do you have to keep it in the freezer? Does it taste different at room temp?

Rebecca Hunt May 2, 2010 at 2:42 PM  

I heard somewhere that you can just stick your sugar in a food processor and grind it up for a while and it'll become superfine. But if you go too long it turns into powdered sugar.

craftyashley May 2, 2010 at 8:13 PM  

I don't think it was gritty, though. It's more like fudge. :)

Rebecca Hunt May 2, 2010 at 8:26 PM  

YUM, I need this.... man I love this blog :)

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP