James Beard's Blonde Brownies

>> Thursday, April 29, 2010

I recently came across this recipe in a cookbook dedicated to brownies that my mom has had since I can remember. I was a true believer after I made the first batch. They are so yummy - especially served warm.

James Beard's Blonde Brownies
1/2 cup butter
5 oz white chocolate
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla (I actually double this because I LOVE the taste of vanilla)
1 cup sifted flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups pecans or walnuts (I have made it with both, and I actually prefer the pecans, but go with whatever suits your fancy!)


1. Melt butter and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat.


2. Remove from heat, stir in the sugar, then beat in the eggs and vanilla. (IMPORTANT: Stirring in the sugar completely before adding the eggs helps to cool the butter/chocolate mixture, thus preventing the eggs from scrambling)
3. Quickly stir in the flour, salt and nuts to just lightly mix.

(sorry, this cutie is not currently available for hire)

4. Spread in a well-greased 9x13 baking pan.


5. Bake at 325F for 30 minutes. Do not over-bake or they will lose their chewy texture.
6. Remove from pan to a rack to cool. While still slightly warm, cut into squares with greased knife.


ENJOY!

7 comments:

lacie tidwell April 29, 2010 at 8:50 PM  

drooling over here in Vegas! can't wait to try these!

Rebecca Hunt April 29, 2010 at 10:40 PM  

Ummm, I'm here in Tulsa... I hope you will be sharing ;)

Unknown April 29, 2010 at 10:42 PM  

i will have to bring you some tomorrow before anthony and i eat all of them!

craftyashley April 30, 2010 at 1:01 PM  

These are going to put me back into my fat pants.

Sheila May 2, 2010 at 7:14 AM  

I had a moment of panic when I thought that you had actually swiped my Brownies cookbook (had to go into the kitchen to actually see it on the cookbook shelf before my heart rate slowed). And anytime that cuties IS available for hire, I'm first in line!

Heather & Jeff May 3, 2010 at 4:00 PM  

tried this recipe last night, followed it to a tee (minus the 9x13 pan, I copied it down wrong, and attempted to bake them in a 9x9)

DISASTER. did not cook evenly at all... sides were burned and the center was still batter. I'm going to try them again, in the right sized pan...

Unknown May 3, 2010 at 6:23 PM  

oh, no!! i hope they turn out better the second time around.

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP