Homemade chewy Granola bars

>> Monday, April 26, 2010

Okay, so recently I found out that my little girl has a slight allergy to foods with red dye #40. Yep, I am one of THOSE moms. You know the ones who are in the middle of the grocery isle reading the back of a box with a magnifying glass.
I am always trying to find quick snacks that I can grab for my little girl and it seems that all the easy stuff, you know the fruit snacks, goldfish, pretzels etc ALL had food dyes in them. Hence the reason for this post. I found this recipe on another cooking blog and have since made it many times. It is SO easy and there is NO way it can be messed up!! Its quick, simple and involves 5 ingredients, 1 pot, 1 spoon and no love.

1/2 C. Peanut Butter
1/3 C. Honey
1/4 C. Coconut oil
1 C. Oats
1 C. total of any combo of: sesame seeds, coconut flakes, sunflower seeds, dried fruit, mini chocolate chips or any other creative mixture your little heart desires. ( I usually do one cup of mini chocolate chips. If i am making them for my daughter I do a little more than half a cup, cause Heaven knows she does NOT need that much chocolate)



* In a medium size saucepan, melt together peanut butter, honey and coconut oil. ( this takes less then 2 min. you just need it to all melt together. Do not boil it)

* Remove from heat and add 1 Cup of oats

* Then add the 1 Cup of your choice of mixture ( If you are doing the chocolate chips wait till the oat mixture cools before adding them so they don't melt)

* Stir well and the spread mix into 8x8 or 9x4 pan


* Chill for 3 hours and then cut into bars.

* Wrap in plastic ( I store mine in the fridge)

These are so great for something to just grab in the mornings, and they are super cheap to make. Especially if you think about the cost difference between a $5.00 box of granola bars packed with preservatives, vs this recipe. ENJOY!

16 comments:

Rebecca Hunt April 27, 2010 at 5:35 AM  

I'm making these today. No lie. I need a good, healthier snack. These'll be great cause I have all the ingredients and won't have to go to the store. Thanks Taly! OH, can you edit this so there are labels? Just something like, snacks, healthy, oats etc... Just so it'll go in the archive and people can search it later!! THANKS!

riosfamilyinc April 27, 2010 at 6:59 AM  

I am so excited to make these today. Seriously I am running to the store right now anyways so I will pick up coconut oil while I am there. Thanks so much for sharing.

craftyashley April 27, 2010 at 9:35 AM  

OMG seriously, I was browsing granola bar recipes JUST LAST NIGHT! The ones I bought for $5 tasted gross. Thank you SO MUCH.

Unknown April 27, 2010 at 11:27 AM  

i was searching for granola bar recipes yesterday, and this one will be perfect!

btw, dont' worry about being one of "those moms" who reads all the labels. i am one of "those," too! it just means that you are a smart consumer :)

craftyashley April 27, 2010 at 12:12 PM  

I have now assembled my yummy 1c. combo: mini choc. chips, shredded coconut, slivered almonds, and flax seeds. I want to eat them now! The chill time is too long! (whine!)

Rebecca Hunt April 27, 2010 at 2:54 PM  

Hey Talya- is the coconut oil necessary? What could I use in place of it?

thegatewoodfamily April 27, 2010 at 8:58 PM  

Ashley, flax seeds! You are brilliant, I didn't even think of that so thank you! Did yours taste better than your store bought ones?
Becca, I wouldn't use another oil. Coconut oil is healthier than most and it really does give it a good taste. I have never used a different oil so I wouldn't know what to suggest. I hope they turn out!

Rebecca Hunt April 28, 2010 at 6:22 AM  

Sounds good! I'll buy it! Besides, it's an excuse to go to the store again :)

Unknown April 28, 2010 at 7:47 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown April 28, 2010 at 7:51 AM  

rebecca, i'm sure you could substitute butter. the coconut oil in this recipe serves as the fat, so butter would work fine. although taly is right, the coconut oil would add a deeper flavor profile to the bar.

Unknown April 28, 2010 at 11:58 AM  

i am curious about the blog that you got this recipe from... do you have the web address?

Rebecca Hunt April 28, 2010 at 1:16 PM  

Well, I bought the coconut oil... and milled flax seed.... and wheat germ... and craisins. I'm TRYING to be healthy-ish... What else can I use this coconut oil in? Taly, and anyone else wanna do a post on suggestions for use of it? I think that'd be cool.

Rebecca Hunt April 28, 2010 at 2:46 PM  

These are amazing Taly. Love them. I was too excited though and did NOT follow your directions and wait for the mixture to cool.... so I have chocolate bars instead of chocolate CHIP bars :)

craftyashley May 7, 2010 at 2:38 PM  

I need to know where to get this coconut oil! I made ones with peanut oil because I had it in my cabinet, and they didn't set up very well. So I went to Smith's in search of coconut oil- and couldn't find it! (sadface!)

Amanda May 28, 2010 at 10:48 AM  

So yummy!! Craisins and chocolate chips is my favorite combo!

craftyashley June 10, 2010 at 2:45 PM  

For those of you who were oblivious about the coconut oil situation like me- FOUND IT! It's just in the "healthy" portion of the grocery stores. :)

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP