Ina Garten's Carrot Cake, Meet Paula Dean's Cream Cheese Frosting

>> Thursday, April 29, 2010


A friend of mine referred me to Ina Garten's Carrot Cake recipe, & Paula Dean's Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe sounded DELISH so... here is a fav of mine... I've made it several times & it never lasts very long...

For the Cake:

2 cups granulated sugar

1 1/3 cups vegetable oil (I want to try this with Coconut Oil after all the talk of Coconut Oil on the blog)

3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

2 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 cup raisins (I like the Golden Raisins)

1 cup chopped walnuts (I've also used Pecans, depends on your preference)

1 pound carrots, grated

1/2 cup diced fresh pineapple (I've used a can of crushed/diced Pineapple, drained... works just as well)
(I also add in shredded coconut, because... I love coconut!)


What to do....


Before you begin mixin':


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.


Butter 2 (8-inch) round cake pans. Line with parchment paper, then butter and flour the pans (makes for easy clean up)


And now... for the Cake...


1. Beat the sugar, oil, and eggs together in the bowl, then add the vanilla.


2. In another bowl, sift together your dry ingredients... 2 1/2 cups flour, the cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.


3. Add the dry to the wet.


4. Toss the raisins and walnuts with 1 tablespoon flour, I do this in a sandwich bag.


5. Fold in the carrots, pineapple, coconuts and nuts to the batter... Do this based on what you want... i like lots of carrot and pineapple in mine, if you want less, add less... its all you!


6. Now... Divide the batter equally between the 2 pans. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean (and enjoy the smell!! no scented candles needed). Allow the cakes to cool completely in the pans set over a wire rack.


And now, Paula.... For the Frosting:

2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature

1 stick salted butter, room temperature

1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup chopped pecans/walnuts


Mix it all, but the nuts...


The Grand Finale....

Frost the top of one of the cakes.... stack... lather that baby up in the cream cheese frosting... top with the nuts and.... HELLO added inches to your waistline! the extra time you'll need to spend in the gym is SO worth it.....

Thanks Ina, Paula & the Food Network!

The only picture I have of this cake is from my husband's birthday... and don't judge... I have none of my nice dishes, or cake plates, or anything here in Guam... All of my wedding presents are in Storage in AZ, so I'm cooking with the bare minimum

3 comments:

craftyashley April 29, 2010 at 6:35 PM  

Mouth. Watering. And it makes me sad because carrot cake was my grandpa's absolute fav. I would have loved to make it for him, but he passed away in Feb. :(
Perhaps I will make it in his memory.

Heather & Jeff April 29, 2010 at 10:09 PM  

sorry to hear that... he would have LOVED this... what an awesome and delish way to remember him though!

Arts in Health South Africa December 21, 2013 at 5:09 AM  

Thanks for a very well constructed recipe! The recipe layout made it very easy to follow!

Yum!! Absolutely scrummy!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP