Chili Spaghetti

>> Thursday, April 29, 2010

OK, don't look at the title and think "Hormel Chili" in a can, dumped on some spaghetti. It is soooo not that. This recipe comes from my mom, I'm not sure where she got it. It was my favorite meal growing up. I think she even made it for my birthday dinner once or twice! Anyway, it's super good. Pretty easy, too.

Start with these ingredients:

2 tsp EVOO
1 lb ground beef (missing from the photo)
1 med onion (chopped finely or grated)
2-3 garlic cloves (crushed or grated)
2 (14.5 or 16 oz) cans of tomatoes (Mom says whole, undrained and cut up. I say, let someone else cut 'em up! So I use diced whatever kind I have. Italian, chili ready, fire roasted, they're all good)
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
2-3 Tbsp. chili powder
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste
7 oz spaghetti broken in 3" pieces.


First, grate or finely chop your onion. I use a box grater, I hate cutting onions. PS- This method will still make you cry.

Start browning the hamburger with the onion.


And grate in the garlic cloves (or toss 'em in if you chopped 'em). See all that oil and greasy goodness? Yeah, we're gettin' rid of that soon.

After the hamburger is cooked through, drain off all the fat. I have a nifty trick. I find my colander and stick just ONE paper towel in the bottom and then drain the mixture in that (over the sink, I'm bad).

This next picture is upside down, I don't know how to flip it. But you get the idea, dump all the cans of tomatoes and sauce and paste in with the beef mixture.

Stir everything together.
Add chili powder (I never measure. Use this much, more or less, depending on how you like it to taste)

Same with the cinnamon.

Here is the beautiful Chili Sauce. I love it because it tastes like a normal spaghetti sauce, just kicked up a notch with chili powder. YUM.
NOW- let the sauce sit and simmer on low for as long as you want. The longer it sits, the yummier it is.

While the sauce sits, start boiling your water for the pasta.

Break the pasta into 3" pieces. Not really sure why, that's just what my mom's recipe says to do. So I do it :)
Cook pasta according to package directions.
Serve pasta with a big spoonful of chili sauce on top. I didn't feel like grating the cheese, but it would be really good on it!

Now if you make this, you may be saying to yourself, "Becca, this makes a ton of sauce. Like, enough for say, 8 people! What do I do with the rest?!"

Freeze it my friend. Save it for a rainy day :)

 Enjoy!


7 comments:

craftyashley April 29, 2010 at 6:33 PM  

Your descriptions and instructions make me giggle. :)

Rebecca Hunt April 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM  

I'm glad. I'm a goof, I know :)

Rebecca Hunt April 29, 2010 at 10:42 PM  

sorry :) Extra Virgin Olive Oil... I abbreviate way too much and always assume everyone knows what I mean... George thinks it's annoying, I do it so much, haha :)

Amanda April 30, 2010 at 3:01 PM  

:) Good to know. I can't wait to try this recipe tomorrow night! It better be good! :)

Amanda April 30, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

Wait, where does the EVOO come into the recipe? Do you just add it when you add the tomatoes and stuff?

Rebecca Hunt April 30, 2010 at 8:46 PM  

i guess you're supposed to use it with the hamburger and onion and garlic.... there is PLENTY fat in the burger, but the EVOO gives it a good flavor... SOO, use it if you want, don't if you don't!!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP