Aunt Belle's Guacamole

>> Wednesday, April 28, 2010

This is the best guacamole you will ever eat... and I'm not just saying that... a few of my friends can attest to this statement... I will provide references, if needed!

I have to admit, I never ate guacamole before CH (Chubby Hubby) and I got married. He was craving the delectable dip one day, so I told him to get me the recipe and I would make it. I have tried tasting a few guacamoles at restaurants, but I am always disappointed. This really is the BEST!

The original recipe is courtesy of his Aunt Belle. I have slightly altered it to reflect our tastes.

Aunt Belle's Guacamole
4 ripe Avocados (the ones that are more black than green, but not too squishy)
3 cloves of garlic (yes, it is a lot of garlic, but that's the secret to success)
1 shallot (here is where the difference is, Aunt Belle uses onion, but I hate the taste of raw onions, so I use the more mild shallot)
1 can diced green chile
1/4 cup-ish your favorite salsa (i say -ish b/c i have never actually measured the salsa, i just eyeball it; also to note, if you are really into the green color of the guac, use a green salsa, and you will have an amazingly green guac!)
1 medium tomato, diced
a splash or two of lemon juice
salt, to taste

1. Peel, pit and scoop the avocados into a bowl.
2. Finely chop the garlic and shallot (we are lucky enough to have a mini food processor that does this part for me, fast and very efficient), add to avocados
3. Add green chile and salsa to avocado. Then we smash and mix! (I have found that the potato masher does an excellent job of smashing the avocado and mixing the other elements at the same time. Doing it this way also produces a light and airy guac)
4. After you have smashed and mixed to your heart's desire, add the diced tomato, lemon juice and salt. Gently stir (you don't want to break the tomatoes down too much).
5. Serve with tortilla chips.



ENJOY!

3 comments:

thegatewoodfamily April 28, 2010 at 6:30 PM  

Oh my gosh! My mouth is watering! I LOVE guac and this recipe sounds wonderful... It has been added to my grocery list for Friday. thank you thank you!!

craftyashley April 28, 2010 at 6:57 PM  

I am drooling all over my computer. I must make this asap. Thanks!

Rebecca Hunt April 29, 2010 at 7:13 AM  

This might help those (like me) that don't have a mini chopper or processor... I saw on some show on the Food Network that they grated the garlic and onion into some dish. This would be good for the guac so you don't ever bite into a chunck of the garlic or onion. I have a micro plane that I use for the garlic, and the small holes on a normal box grater would work for the shallot/onion. I'll give it a try!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP