Vegetarian Fajitas

>> Saturday, July 17, 2010

Earlier this week, my husband was really sick and I could not take care of him much because I had to work all day. On my way home from work, I was brainstorming with meal ideas that would be quick (because I was really hungry) and that would help fight his illness (because he was really sick). By the time I got home, this delicious meal popped into my head! Because everything is cooked in a pan, it was quick to prepare; and because of the ingredients, Chris started feeling better the next day! The combination of the onion and peppers provide a very powerful antiviral and antibacterial quality to this meal, not to mention the nutrients from all the other whole foods!

You will need (for 4-5 servings):
1 large onion, sliced
1-2 peppers, chopped or sliced (the more colors you have, the more nutritional variety you have!)
2/3 cup of sliced mushrooms (amount depends on your preference really)
1 roma tomato, chopped
1 lime, quartered
3-4 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1-2 Tbs of oil (preferably oil that is refined for high heat, like sesame oil, to avoid free radicals in your meal)
Multi-grain tortillas
1 can of black beans, heated, rinsed and drained

On Low-Medium heat, add oil to pan. When oil is heated, add onion, peppers and mushrooms. Stir frequently, until vegetables begin to soften. Do not overcook! Meanwhile, in a sauce pan, heat black beans on low heat.


When vegetables have softened, add tomato. Stir frequently for a few minutes until tomato is slightly cooked. Then remove pan from heat.


On a tortilla, layer: small amount of black beans, small amount of vegetables. Garnish with cilantro, and juice of lime quarter.


Wrap and enjoy!


Note: My husband and I each had 2, and they kept us full for quite a while!

1 comments:

craftyashley July 29, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

Not only does that sound amazing- those pictures are gorgeous! Thanks!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP