Minema's Yams

>> Monday, November 22, 2010

Ok, you lucky ducks. This is a treasured family recipe from my Dad's side of the family- the Norwegian side where everything is covered in sugar. With more sugar on top. (as a kid, I loved the Norwegian way- now still I do, but I am more cautious about the ominous fat-pants)

Now, I've never actually had yams with those marshmallows- but they look questionable. For as long as I've been alive, we've had Minema's yams for Thanksgiving- and they rock. I definitely think you should try them.

Here's what you'll  need:

2 (29 oz.) canned yams (or 4 fresh yams, peeled & cooked)
5 apples, peeled & sliced (I use granny smith)

Sauce:

1 c. brown sugar
1 c. hot water
1 c. pineapple juice
1 stick butter
3 tbl. cornstarch
1 tea. salt

Preheat your oven to 350. You can make these ahead and refrigerate before cooking.
Place yams and apples in 9x13 pan. Combine sugar, salt, and cornstarch. Add water, butter and pineapple juice. Cook to thicken. Pour over yams and apples. Cook for 30 mins. (or 45 mins. if refrigerated)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP